plan(it)* august 2019
*a virtual planning retreat for academics
Spend two days in the comfort of your own home (or office or coffee shop or wherever you like), creating a detailed plan for the academic year and fall semester/quarter. During the plan(it) virtual retreat, you'll have a structured and supportive space to create a plan for your research, teaching, service, and personal life. We'll focus specifically on the 2019-2020 academic year and fall 2019 semester/quarter.
plan(it)* is for you if:
- you are an academic at any level
- you want to create a plan for the year that incorporates all aspects of your professional and personal life
- you struggle to set aside dedicated planning time on your own
- you don't mind engaging in reflection
- you don't have a planning process that you 100% love
- you're available during the 2 days of the retreat and you can dedicate ~1.5 to 2 hours to reflect and prep before the retreat
What you'll get when you participate in plan(it)*:
- an individualized yearly plan (created by you!)
- an individualized fall semester or quarter plan (also created by you!)
- yearly and semester/quarter planning strategies to take with you as you continue on your academic journey
- pdfs of the slides from our mini-workshop sessions
- an electronic workbook to jot down all of your notes/plans
- a chance to connect with other academics who understand the importance of planning
plan(it)* dates: Friday August 16 (9:30a - 2:45p PDT) and Saturday August 17 (9:30a - 2:05p PDT)
After you register. When you register, you'll gain access to retreat information to help you prepare, including a few reflective prompts to respond to before our start date. We'll have a dedicated Slack channel for the retreat where you can ask questions so you'll also get instructions on signing up for that.
Day 1. We'll get started at 9:30am (PDT) with a check-in video and mini workshop (via Zoom). The remainder of our day will consist of individual work time and Zoom check-ins/mini-workshops. I'll be available for questions while you're working via Slack (and Zoom if needed). On day 1 we'll cover creating your yearly plan, wrapping up around 2:45pm (PDT).
Day 2. Just like day 1, we'll get started at 9:30am (PDT) with a check-in video and mini workshop. During day 2 we'll finish up our yearly plans and then spend most of our time creating a plan for the fall semester (or quarter). We'll wrap up around 2:05pm (PDT) and say good bye.
Hi! I'm Jill Hoffman, the academic mama behind plan(it)*. I'm a tenure track faculty member who is determined to keep the overwhelm at bay. Although I have my moments, I've managed to remain calm, cool, and collected amidst the chaos of academia (and parenting a young kid), in large part due to my planning and organizing strategies. When I'm not in the classroom or doing research or chasing around my kiddo, I blog about every day life on the tenure track with a young kid at Toddler on the Tenure Track.